Sam owns a big gun which he seems to carry around everywhere he goes. The gun can be seen in almost every comic and Telltale episode. It appeared in the animated series once in the beginning of Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang (other episodes showed child-friendly weapons such as bazookas and flamethrowers). It was explicitly absent only in Hit the Road, where it's left back at the dry cleaner's.
Sam's gun looks most like a Smith & Wesson Model 29 .44 Magnum revolver. The Model 29 was one of the most powerful handguns in existence at the time of its introduction and has become a highly popular and well-recognized weapon by being the weapon of choice of "Dirty" Harry Callahan.
In the comics Sam is quite trigger-happy but a lousy shot, never actually hitting anyone. In the Telltale episodes he is reluctant to even threaten people with it, but can hit any object on the first try.
- Referred to as the Big Kill, Sam's gun (essentially a new skin for the Spy's Revolver) was one of three Team Fortress 2 items offered to people who bought Sam and Max: The Devil's Playhouse through Steam between April 15th, 2010 and April 25, 2010. This offer was later extended to users who preordered the game from Telltale Games.
- The gun has been referred to as the Big Kill on only two other occasions: once in a drawing from Steve Purcell's childhood and once in the notebook in They Stole Max's Brain! (after its appearance in TF2).
- The Big Kill is one of the most valuable items in Team Fortress 2.
- Hugh Bliss, General Skun-ka'pe, his minions including the Sign Spinner and Abe Lincoln are all unaffected by Sam's guns (in fact, when Sam shoots Skun-ka'pe in his first future vision as shown at the start of the Penal Zone, Skun-ka'pe barely notices anything).
- Max in Through Time And Space Episode 3 comments 'Finally! A Bad Guy we can shoot but isn't affected by it!' When you shoot the zombies outside Stuttgart.